- Meet and exchange ideas with local authors.
- One or two virtual meetings a month with a local speaker on a writing or publishing topic.
- Join the APW Book Club where read and review each other’s work (email Karen Lateiner firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Ability to use APW Zoom for book presentations or other writing-related meetings. (Contact Marie Fasano email@example.com or Jaimie Bruzenak firstname.lastname@example.org
- Enter the At-large contest for the National Federation of Press Women. First place winners go on to the national level. Many categories for these prestigious awards. See https://www.nfpw.org/professional-contest We had several winners at the At-large contest. Dianne Beaff and Wynne Brown won awards at the national level.
- Post on our Facebook page more than once about your book. (Nonmembers are limited to one post.) Share your new publications, wins and writing events.
- Keep up on local book and writing events in Arizona.
- Your book listed in the Holiday Bazaar before Christmas. Listed at least once on FB that it is there. (Email Jaimie Bruzenak email@example.com)
Additional National Federation of Press Women benefits
- Premium professional members of NFPW have access to discounted libel insurance through its group policy.
- NFPW focuses on and working to support the First Amendment. https://nfpw.memberclicks.net/the-first-amendment-network
- Second place -Columns, general, Roaming the Rim Column – “WHO designates 2020 as Year of the Nurse and Midwife”
- Honorable mention -Feature story, Print based newspaper, “Homeless Give Back “
- Third Place- Autobiograpy or Memoir, Surrender
Second Place-Collection of short stories written by entrant (published together in book form, including electronic books) Body Language
Honorable Mention Nonfiction Book for Adult Readers – General Nonficton, The Big Book of Small Presses and Independent Publishers
Congratulations to Marie Fasano! She was named Communicator of Achievement for Arizona for 2021 at our APW Virtual State Conference on April 17, 2021. Her entry is being considered by NFPW at the national level. Her writing and community involvement credentials are impressive. Here’s a very brief summary of Marie’s career. And the photos are of our new president, Connie Cockrell, presenting Marie with a certificate and the traditional Navajo Storyteller figurine for her achievement.
Marie A. Fasano from Arizona had a career in nursing and as a photojournalist. As a pilot, she volunteered flying to clinics in Mexico and writing travel articles. Marie has published books in the health field and a memoir, Tessie’s Tales. She edited two nationwide magazines and wrote articles for newspapers and magazines. Currently, she writes a column for the Payson Roundup, “Roaming the Rim.”
We should note that a Communicator of Achievement is not named every year. So it is quite an honor for Marie to be selected and well deserved!
APW Members and guests,
Karen Lateiner is inviting you to our next APW Book Club Meeting on Zoom. You do not need to be an APW member to attend, but attendees are expected to have read the book prior to the meeting. See below for information about where to obtain a copy.
TOPIC: APW Book Club: Marie Fasano –Tessie’s Tales
DATE: Saturday, April 24, 2021
TIME: 10:00 AM Arizona
Contact Karen: firstname.lastname@example.org
ABOUT THE BOOK: Award-winning Tessie’s Tales consists of the stories as told by Tessie Trotta Fasano to her family. It’s about growing up in New York City in an Italian family with Marie capturing her voice in the telling.
Available in print at $9.99 or on Kindle at $3.99
Marie Fasano has won two awards in the 2021 NFPW at-large communications contest. Marie currently writes for the Payson Roundup. One of her columns in “Roaming the Rim,” her bi-monthly column, won second place. Commented the judge: Wonderful opening paragraph. Informative and very nice selection of interviewees. Good selection of quotes. Marie won honorable mention in the Feature story, print newspaper category. The judge noted: Nice news feature.
Marie is APW president and our state winner and nominee for the national Communicator of Achievement Award.
Save the date!
The next APW Board meeting will be held on Sunday, March 7 at 10 AM. The Zoom invite and agenda will follow. In addition to Officers’ reports, we will discuss the Annual meeting and new officers. If you have any items please let me know.
All members are invited to attend. Please let Marie Fasano know so she can send you the link.
Join APW Central Chapter’s virtual meeting on Saturday, January 9 at 10 a.m. Featured speaker is our own APW President, Marie Fasano who will talk about interviewing for article writing.
Guest speaker: Marie Fasano, APW President
Topic: Interviewing for Articles
Date: January 9, 2021
Time: 10:00 AM Arizona
Both members and guests are invited to attend the Zoom meeting. If you did not receive the Zoom link, contact Barbara at email@example.com
Marie A. Fasano has been writing articles for over 40 years. She says the best part of her work has been interviewing people who have completed extraordinary tasks in their lives. Her articles have been as diverse as stories about places pilots fly for getaways and doing the PR for Air Shows to focusing on individuals who have helped others overcome challenges. Marie has enjoyed highlighting authors for the Payson Book Festival as PR Coordinator for five years. Currently, she writes a column for the Payson Roundup Newspaper titled “Roaming the Rim.” Her column is about anything that strikes her fancy. Some of her previous columns have been about nurses, the homeless, drones, sex education in the schools, telemedicine, and RBG.
Come join Marie to discuss the task of interviewing.